The winner will showcase their design at Salone del Mobile in April 2018 with all-expenses paid trip to Milan
British brand Victoria + Albert is delighted to announce the return of the Victoria + Albert International Design Awards. The competition has been brought back following the outstanding success of the inaugural Awards where we received over 150 submissions from keen designers across the globe.
Open to architects, designers and students, this year’s competition draws on the ever-popular concept of boutique hotels. Using Victoria + Albert’s products – baths, basins, vanities or their comprehensive range of brassware, participants are expected to conceptualize a space that inspires, relaxes and invigorates.
Entries will be judged on creativity, personality, functionality and overall aesthetics. The winner will get the chance to showcase their design at the prestigious Salone del Mobile 2018 in an all-expenses sponsored trip to Milan.
This year, a global panel of renowned architects and designers will use their expertise in hospitality design to assess the submitted entries. Among them are Beat Huesler, Director of Oppenheim Architecture + Design, and Simon Kincaid, Director of Conran and Partners.
How to enter
- Design a compact bathroom space of 3m x 3m, using at least, but not withstanding to, one Victoria + Albert bathroom product.
- Submit at least 2 project views, including a rendering or sketch and a floor plan, using the 2D or 3D downloads available here.
- Include a 150-words description to explain the submitted concept.
Deadline: 22 December 2017
Internationally renowned for its luxurious freestanding baths and basins, Victoria + Albert also offers a diverse range of exquisitely crafted bathroom furniture to allow designers and homeowners to obtain the brand’s timelessly elegant look in their bathroom design. The brand recently launched the Vetralla and Vetralla 2 freestanding baths, which at 1493mm and 1650mm in length, is Victoria + Albert’smost compact bath to date.
100% crafted from QUARRYCAST®, a unique blend of Volcanic Limestone™ and high performance resins that is exclusive to the brand, Victoria + Albert’s baths and 3 basins retains heat for longer and are naturally white for ease of maintenance. The material is also luxuriously smooth, scratch-resistant, super-strong and light. So confident is Victoria + Albert with its material, each bath comes with a 25- year consumer guarantee, 8 year commercial.
Judging Criteria and notes to entrant
- Victoria + Albert’s Baths works with various dealers across Asia to make its products available in the region.
- Volcanic Limestone™ is Victoria + Albert’s propriety name for the very special white rock that is perfect for making baths and basins.
- This is formed when the elemental forces associated with liquid magma acts upon surrounding soft, chalky limestone. The immense heat and pressure from the magma transforms the neighbouring rock into a new material made up of incredibly hard strands.
- Victoria + Albert blends milled Volcanic Limestone™ with high quality resins to bind these strands into a complex 3D matrix.
- The finished result is QUARRYCAST® - a world class composite with an
- exceptional strength to weight ratio.
- QUARRYCAST® is a stone-rich alternative to both cast iron and acrylic. It is 100% naturally white, naturally scratch resistant and hand finished.
- The material has passed a 5,000kg mass test, so Victoria + Albert’s baths won’t creak or flex.
To see Victoria + Albert’s complete collection visit: www.vandabaths.com
Beat Huesler, Director of Oppenheim Architecture + Design Europe (Basel, Switzerland)
Beat Huesler is the Director of European Operations for Oppenheim Architecture having co-founded Oppenheim Architecture Europe with Chad Oppenheim in 2009. Huesler has over 26 years of experience in the design industry and has won several prestigious distinctions such as honours from WAF, Architizer, and the Africa & Arabia Property Awards.
Interior Design Director of Handel Architects
(San Francisco, USA)
British designer Richard Felix-Ashman has over twenty years of experience in design, having pursued the specialty after studying fine arts and architecture in London and Brighton respectively. In design, he finds that the harmony of scale, tone and textures are key, a sentiment that he credits to his fine arts training.
Alexandra Champalimaud, Founder of Champalimaud Design
(New York, USA)
Alexandra Champalimaud has an established reputation for developing bespoke designs of the highest calibre and was inducted into the Interior Design Hall of Fame in 2012 . She frequently draws inspiration from the many cultures that she has been immersed in, as a result of her personal commissions in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America.
Simon Kincaid, Director of Conran and Partners (London, UK)
Simon Kincaid has over nineteen years of experience in residential and hospitality design and, as the director of Conran and Partners, lends expertise in optimising layouts and creating strong design narratives to the panel. Additionally, as the head of the interiors department with a focus on UK residential developments, Simon has a well-versed understanding of consumer lifestyle trends.
Laura Bielecki, Senior Interior Designer at Ellington
Laura has become an industry voice through her popular blog, “Luxury Interiors”, and has a special interest in Green Building, and has a LEED accreditation under her belt. She has worked an a diverse array of environments and, in 2012, Bielecki was awarded “Middle East Young Designer of the Year” at the Commercial Interior Design Awards.